INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION GERMAN ANGORA RABBIT BREEDERS
FELTING CONTEST 2022
CALLING ALL FELTERS
IAGARB has a challenge for you!
What is the most beautiful and technically well-felted accessory you can make with 125 grams of fiber?
Angora Rabbit Wool makes luscious felt. It is soft, dense, warm and has beautiful drape.
We want more people to try this humanely shorn wool with unique felting qualities. To encourage more felters to include angora wool in their work, we invite you to join our contest.
Properties of Angora Rabbit Wool
- Wool sourced from IAGARB members has been gently and humanely shorn.
- Angora wool is eager to felt. It will make a dense felt very quickly.
- Angora blends well with other fibers, especially fine sheep wools.
- The average diameter of the Underwool component of the coat runs between 8 and 12 microns. This results in a tight felt with a delicate feel.
- The finished pieces can either be brushed to enhance the nap or shaved for a smooth fabric.
THERE WILL BE TWO CATEGORIES: FELTED HAT AND FELTED SCARF
- There will be two categories for entry – HAT and SCARF
- Prizes in each category will be Amazon gift cards in US dollar amounts 1st – $100.00, 2nd – $50.00, 3rd – $25.00
- Maximum of 125 grams of fiber in the finished piece.
- The piece must be at least 50% humanely shorn angora rabbit wool.
- It is all about the fiber. No Nuno or laminated felt this time.
- Natural colors or dyed fibers are accepted.
- You are welcome to enter one hat or one scarf or both.
- Work must have been completed in 2022.
- Deadline is midnight US Central Time, April 30, 2022
Our Judge is Pamela MacGregor, a renown felter. The decisions of our judge will be final.
HOW TO ENTER
Entry is free and open to IAGARB members and the public.
To enter, you will need to send your
Three Digital photos
A sample of the fibers.
Please send your contact information and 3 digital photos to:
secretary [at] iagarb [dot] com
1. One image close-up
2. One image showing the piece being worn
3. One image of your choice
Fiber Samples will be mailed to:
E. Maclean / IAGARB PO Box 19782, Sacramento, California, USA 95819-0782
1. Unfelted 10-gram sample with a description of the source of the angora fiber and the content of the blend.
2. A sample of the same felt used in your submitted piece(s) 3”x3” (8cm x 8 cm)
DO NOT SEND YOUR ACTUAL HAT OR SCARF.
This is a no-contact competition. Samples will not be returned.
By participating, you agree that All photos will become the property of IAGARB for promotional purposes
Winning photos and names of the winners will be posted on the IAGARB website.
Questions? Please contact:
Erin Maclean: angora [at] bungalowfarm [dot] com
Catherine Fulbright: fulbrightfibers [at] gmail [dot] com